Mediterranean-style Lupin Stuffed Courgettes is a recipe with added lupin flakes making a nutritious plant based meal. This is a super tasty and healthy dish, packed with flavour as well as protein, fibre, antioxidants and minerals. Perfect for anyone on a vegan or plant based diet.
Serves 3 – 4
Salt and pepper
4 spring onions
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Pinch chilli flakes
Handful mushrooms – sliced
small aubergine – diced
125ml vegetable stock
4 tablespoons pesto
2 handfuls spinach
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for a vegan option
For the topping
135g TLC Lupin Protein Flakes
2 cloves garlic
60g almonds or walnuts
Sprinkle of lemon thyme, thyme or rosemary
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or use nutritional yeast for a vegan option
- Cut the courgettes in half down the middle and hollow out, leaving a solid rim to hold the filling.
- Rub the courgette with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and then place in an oven at 180°C whilst you prepare the filling.
- Boil the millet in 3 times its volume of water then covers and simmer for 25 minutes until soft and slightly crunchy. In the meantime, sauté the spring onions in olive oil, add the crushed garlic cloves and the pinch of chilli flakes.
- Add the inside of the courgettes, the sliced mushrooms, the aubergine, bay leaf and the stock.
- Once this has been cooked down, add the pesto, spinach, parmesan and then add in the cooked millet.
- Put the filling into the hollowed out and roasted courgettes.
- For the topping – put all ingredients into a food processor. Blitz to a fine crumb and then fry in olive oil until golden brown.
- Add the topping and return to the oven. Bake until golden.
The Lupinist's Tips
You could also stuff aubergines. If this is the case, then substitute 1 courgette for the aubergine in the filling – swap.