One word: lupilicious! Mushroom, Walnut and Lupin Pâté recipe is a naturally vegan and gluten-free dish. You might never guess that it doesn’t contain meat. It can also be served as a starter or as a nutritious plant-based snack with crackers. You can use any mushrooms – why not try some wild ones?
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
2 medium onions – roughly chopped
Black pepper to taste
Pinch dried chilli flakes
400g chestnut mushrooms - sliced
200g walnuts – whole or broken
2 tablespoons liquid aminos
½ teaspoon cumin powder
60g TLC Lupin Protein Flakes
- Place a generous amount of olive oil in a pan on a low heat.
- Add onions and cook on a low heat, covered, stirring occasionally.Cook for around 30 minutes until brown.
- Whilst onions are cooking, add a few grinds of black pepper and the chilli flakes.
- Once the onions are ready, add the sliced mushrooms. Turn the heat up slightly and cover the pan again. After a few more minutes the mushrooms will have softened.
- Add the liquid aminos or soy sauce and the cumin and stir in.
- Add the lupin flakes. These will absorb the liquid as they hydrate. You should have a mixture that comes away from the pan when stirred.
- If too runny, add more walnuts or lupin flakes.
- Remove from heat. Blitz until the nuts are in small pieces – a hand blender is sufficient.
- Allow to cool and serve with toast or crackers.
The Lupinist's Tips
If you have no liquid aminos, you can use soy sauce.
Any mushrooms can be used, try some wild ones for more interesting flavours.
Keeps in the fridge for 3 days. Suitable for freezing.