Traditional matzo balls made from matzo meal and ground almonds, now revisited by The Lupinist with added lupin flakes for an extra protein and fibre kick.
Makes 12 large or 18 small matzo balls
Preparation time 10 minutes to mix, 30 minutes to stand, 45 minutes to cook
100g matzo meal
100g ground almonds
100g TLC Lupin Protein Flakes
2 tablespoons potato flour
1 teaspoon salt
Few grinds of pepper
Pinch chilli flakes (optional)
4 tablespoons olive oil
150ml warm water
- Combine all dry ingredients together.
- Add water whilst mixing. You should have a firm paste-like substance when all mixed together.
- Stand for at least 30 minutes. Can be chilled once it has been cooled down.
- Being a large pan of water to the boil.
- Take small handfuls of mix and roll into balls. Place in boiling water.
- Once the balls have floated up to the top, turn heat down low, cover pan and leave for 44 minutes.
- Traditionally served in chicken consommé.
The Lupinist’s Tips
Vegan chicken consommé is quite easy to make using chicken-flavoured stock cube or powder.
If you can’t find matzo meal, cornmeal should be a suitable substitute.