Superfood Shortbread - this is what happens when a superfood meets shortbread. Made with our not so secret ingredient, this Scottish classic recipe has been revisited with lupin flakes and wattleseed, another Aussie native superfood, to give your shortbreads a great texture and a healthy kick. Top up with protein and fibre, anytime you reach out for the biscuit tin or have a cup of tea.
125g plain flour or gluten free alternative
70g TLC Lupin Protein Flakes
60g coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon wattleseed (see note)
120g butter or soft margarine – cubed
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Combine all the dry ingredients
- Add the butter or margarine. Rub mixture together until it forms a dough.
- Press into a small baking tray. Mixture should be about 1.5cm thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares and allow to cool.
Wattleseed is available from specialist retailers. It tastes of chocolate, coffee and hazelnut. You could use any of these flavours (for example some ground coffee or cocoa powder) as a substitute or use some mixed spice instead for a different kind of biscuit.