Enjoy an Italian-style protein feast with our gluten-free Lupin Pizza Scrolls recipe. The classic Italian recipe has been revisited and deconstructed to help you boost your protein intake without compromising on flavours. Made with super nutritious TLC Lupin Protein Flakes, loaded with complete protein - which means that they contain all nine essential amino acids.
Serves 6 scrolls
1 teaspoon oil
½ red onion- chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
200g lean protein (chicken/beef/turkey/vegan mince or tofu)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
145g flour (bread flour or gluten free flour)
70g TLC Lupin Protein Flakes
1 teaspoon baking powder
180g Greek yoghurt or vegan substitute
2 tablespoon water
200g tomato paste
200g finely chopped mixed vegetables (eg spinach/peppers/broccoli)
250g Mozzarella cheese or vegan substitute
2 egg whites or vegan substitute, whisked
50g fresh herbs (eg coriander/basil) or dried herbs to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tray.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, stirring until the onion is soft.
- Add protein and cook until browned.
- Add seasoning. Stir for one more minute.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Mix together flour, lupin flakes and baking powder.
- Add the yoghurt and combine until mixture comes together as a dough.
- Knead for a few minutes until smooth. Add water if too dry or more flour if too wet.
- Roll dough into a rectangle, approximately 0.5cm thick.
- Spread dough with the tomato paste leaving 1cm of dough without paste at one end.
- Sprinkle over the vegetables, protein and cheese. Season and add herbs.
- Brush egg white or alternative on the bare 1cm of dough. Pour any excess over the toppings.
- Roll the dough from the side opposite to the sealing strip with egg on it.
- Cut into 4cm pieces and place into the baking tin, squashing together.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- If not eating immediately, wrap each scroll individually. Will keep in fridge for 1 week. Suitable for freezing.